Corn tree plants, also known as Dracaena fragrans, are excellent indoor plants that are easy to care for and add a touch of tropical elegance to any space. These plants are native to tropical Africa and Asia and have become popular indoor plants due to their air-purifying properties and low maintenance.
If you’re in the market for a corn tree plant, you may be wondering where the best place is to purchase one. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best places to buy corn tree plants, as well as what to look for when choosing one.
Online Plant Retailers
One of the most convenient ways to purchase a corn tree plant is through an online plant retailer. There are several reputable online retailers that specialize in selling indoor plants, including corn tree plants. Some popular options include:
- The Sill
When purchasing a corn tree plant online, be sure to read reviews from other customers and check the seller’s return policy. You’ll also want to ensure that the plant will be shipped safely and in good condition.
Another great option for purchasing a corn tree plant is your local nursery or garden center. Not only will you be supporting a local business, but you’ll also be able to see the plant in person before making a purchase. Local nurseries often have knowledgeable staff who can answer any questions you may have about caring for your new plant.
When shopping at a local nursery, be sure to inspect the plant for any signs of damage or disease before making a purchase. You’ll also want to make sure that the plant is the right size for your space and that it comes with care instructions.
Home Improvement Stores
Home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s often carry a variety of indoor plants, including corn tree plants. While these stores may not specialize in plants, they can be a convenient option if you’re already there for other home improvement needs.
When purchasing a corn tree plant from a home improvement store, be sure to inspect the plant for any signs of damage or disease. You’ll also want to make sure that the plant is labeled as a Dracaena fragrans and comes with care instructions.
Plant Swaps and Sales
If you’re on a budget or looking for a unique variety of corn tree plant, consider attending a plant swap or sale in your area. These events bring together plant enthusiasts who trade or sell their plants.
Check social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram for local plant swap and sale events. You may also want to consider joining a local plant enthusiast group to stay up-to-date on upcoming events.
What to Look for When Purchasing a Corn Tree Plant
When purchasing a corn tree plant, there are a few key things to look for:
- Healthy leaves: Choose a plant with healthy, green leaves that are free from spots, discoloration, or curling.
- Strong stems: Look for a plant with sturdy stems that can support its foliage.
- Adequate drainage: Make sure the pot has adequate drainage holes to prevent overwatering and root rot.
- Size: Consider the size of the plant in relation to your space. Corn tree plants can grow quite large, so be sure you have enough room for it to thrive.
How often should I water my corn tree plant?
Corn tree plants prefer well-draining soil and should be watered when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch. Be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
Do corn tree plants need fertilizer?
Yes, corn tree plants benefit from regular fertilization during the growing season (spring and summer). Use a balanced liquid fertilizer every two weeks.
Can corn tree plants grow in low light?
Yes, corn tree plants can tolerate low light conditions, but they will grow best in bright, indirect light.
How often should I repot my corn tree plant?
Corn tree plants should be repotted every 2-3 years, or when the roots have outgrown the pot.
Can corn tree plants be toxic to pets?
Yes, corn tree plants can be toxic to pets if ingested. Keep them out of reach of pets and children.
- Guide to Fertilizing Your Corn Tree Plant
- How to Get Rid of Thrips in Corn Tree Plant
- Corn Tree Plant Soil: How to Choose the Right Type
- How to Tell if Corn Tree Plant Needs Watering?
- How Much Water Does Corn Tree Plant Watering
- How to Get Rid of Spider Mites in Corn Tree Plant
- Most Common Corn Tree Plant Pests: Identification and Treatment Guide
- How to Repot Corn Tree Plant
- How to Propogate Corn Tree Plant the Right Way
- Guide to Growing Corn Tree Plant in a Pot
- What Are the Different Types of Corn Tree Plant
- Corn Tree Plant Stages of Growth
- When Is The Best Time To Transplant A Corn Tree Plant
- Corn Tree Plant Size: Get the Right Size for You
- Why is My Corn Tree Plant Drooping
- Why Is My Corn Tree Plant Falling Over
- How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies on Corn Tree Plant
- How to Get Rid of Slaters on Corn Tree Plant
- Corn Tree Plant Harvesting: Optimal Time and Technique
- How to Get Rid of Slugs on Corn Tree Plant
- Corn Tree Plant Roots and Stems: an In-depth Look
- How Much Space to Leave Between Each Corn Tree Plant
- How to Grow Corn Tree Plant Indoors
- Where to Place Corn Tree Plant for Perfect Feng Shui
- How to Prevent Corn Tree Plant from Rotting
- How to Get Rid of Ants on Corn Tree Plant
- How to Get Rid of Crusader Bugs on Corn Tree Plant
- How to Grow Corn Tree Plant Outdoors
- How to Trim Corn Tree Plant: In-depth Pruning Guide
- How to Transplant Corn Tree Plant