Live to Plant

Is Giant Taro Plant Safe for My Pets?

Updated: December 28, 2022

Giant Taro (Alocasia macrorrhiza), also known as Elephant Ear, is a popular ornamental plant grown for its large leaves and unique appearance. It is native to Southeast Asia but has become a popular houseplant in other parts of the world. However, if you are a pet owner and you have this plant in your home, you may be wondering if it is safe for your pets to be around.

Toxicity of Giant Taro Plant

Unfortunately, Giant Taro is toxic to both cats and dogs. The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause irritation and swelling in the mouth, tongue, and throat of pets. If ingested, the crystals can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and even death in severe cases. It’s important to note that all parts of the plant are toxic, including the leaves, stems, roots, and even the water in which it’s grown.

Signs of Poisoning in Pets

If your pet has ingested any part of the Giant Taro plant, it’s essential to monitor them closely for symptoms of poisoning. Some common signs to look out for include:

  • Drooling
  • Swelling of the mouth or tongue
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy

If you notice any of these symptoms, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Alternatives to Giant Taro Plant

If you’re a pet owner and you’re looking for safe houseplants to keep in your home, there are plenty of alternatives to Giant Taro that won’t harm your furry friends. Some of these include:

  • Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
  • Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
  • Prayer plant (Maranta leuconeura)
  • Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)


In conclusion, Giant Taro is a beautiful plant but is not safe for pets to be around. If you’re a pet owner, it’s best to avoid this plant and opt for safer alternatives. If you have the plant in your home, make sure it’s placed out of reach of your pets, and always keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t ingest any part of the plant.


Can Giant Taro cause harm to humans?

Yes, Giant Taro can cause irritation and swelling in humans if ingested or if the sap comes into contact with the skin.

Is there any treatment for pets who have ingested Giant Taro?

Treatment for pets who have ingested Giant Taro depends on the severity of their symptoms. In some cases, inducing vomiting may be necessary, while in more severe cases, hospitalization and supportive care may be required.

Are there any other plants that are toxic to pets?

Yes, there are many plants that are toxic to pets, including lilies, azaleas, daffodils, and tulips. It’s essential to research any plant before bringing it into your home if you have pets.