Gollum jade plants, also known as Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’, are a popular houseplant due to their unique appearance and ease of care. These plants are succulents native to South Africa and are loved for their fleshy, elongated leaves that resemble the character Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. However, one common issue that many Gollum jade plant owners face is their plant falling over. In this article, we will explore the reasons why your Gollum jade plant may be falling over and what you can do to fix it.
Lack of sun
One of the most common reasons why your Gollum jade plant is falling over is due to a lack of sun. These plants require plenty of bright, indirect light to grow properly. If your plant is not receiving enough sunlight, it may start to stretch out and become leggy, causing it to fall over.
To fix this issue, try moving your plant to a brighter spot in your home. A south-facing window is a great spot for a Gollum jade plant as it will receive plenty of sunlight throughout the day. If you don’t have a south-facing window, you can also use grow lights to provide your plant with the necessary light.
Overwatering is another common reason why Gollum jade plants may fall over. These plants are succulents, which means they store water in their leaves and stems. They are adapted to survive in dry environments, so they do not require frequent watering.
If you are watering your Gollum jade plant too often or not allowing the soil to dry out completely between waterings, it may start to fall over. Overwatering can cause root rot, which can weaken the roots and make it difficult for the plant to stand upright.
To fix this issue, make sure you are allowing the soil to dry out completely between waterings. When you do water your plant, make sure you are not adding too much water. Only water your Gollum jade plant when the top inch of soil is dry to the touch.
Lack of support
Another reason why your Gollum jade plant may be falling over is due to a lack of support. These plants can become top-heavy as they grow, which can cause them to fall over if they are not properly supported.
To fix this issue, you can use a stake or trellis to provide support for your plant. Simply insert the stake or trellis into the soil next to your plant and gently tie the stem to it using garden twine or a soft plant tie. This will help keep your plant upright as it grows.
Pests such as spider mites and mealybugs can also cause Gollum jade plants to fall over. These pests feed on the leaves and stems of the plant, causing damage and weakening the structure.
To fix this issue, you will need to treat your plant with an insecticide. Look for an insecticide that is labeled safe for use on succulents and follow the instructions carefully.
How often should I water my Gollum jade plant?
Gollum jade plants do not require frequent watering. Allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings and only water when the top inch of soil is dry to the touch.
Can I prune my Gollum jade plant?
Yes, you can prune your Gollum jade plant to help maintain its shape and size. Use clean, sharp scissors or pruning shears to cut back any leggy or overgrown stems.
Can I propagate my Gollum jade plant?
Yes, Gollum jade plants are easy to propagate. Simply take a stem cutting and allow it to dry out for a few days before planting it in well-draining soil. Keep the soil moist and your cutting should start to root within a few weeks.
- Gollum Jade Plant Soil: How to Choose the Right Type
- Common Gollum Jade Plant Diseases: How to Identify and Treat
- Gollum Jade Plant Roots and Stems: an In-depth Look
- How to Get Rid of Mold on Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Scales on Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Save a Dying Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Pollinate Gollum Jade Plant: Increase Your Yield
- How to Get Rid of Mosquito Larvae in Gollum Jade Plant Water
- How to Get Rid of Thrips in Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies on Gollum Jade Plant
- How Deep Does Gollum Jade Plant Need to Be Planted?
- Benefits of Gollum Jade Plant in Your Garden
- What Are the Different Types of Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Fungus on Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Borers on Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Spider Mites in Gollum Jade Plant
- Why Are My Gollum Jade Plant Leaves Turning Yellow?
- How to Get Rid of Nematodes on Gollum Jade Plant
- Gollum Jade Plant Seeds: Guide to Storing, Sowing and Germination
- What Causes Gollum Jade Plant Leaves to Curl?
- How to Repot Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Get Rid of Caterpillars on Gollum Jade Plant
- What’s Causing my Gollum Jade Plant to Die?
- Guide to Fertilizing Your Gollum Jade Plant
- How to Care for Gollum Jade Plant
- Where to Purchase a Gollum Jade Plant
- How Tall Does a Gollum Jade Plant Grow
- How to Propogate Gollum Jade Plant the Right Way
- How Much Sunlight Does Gollum Jade Plant Need?
- How to Transplant Gollum Jade Plant