Live to Plant

Is Green Shamrock Plant Safe for My Pets?

Updated: June 15, 2022

Green Shamrock Plant, also known as Oxalis regnellii, is a popular houseplant that is loved for its vibrant green foliage and delicate flowers. It is easy to care for and can thrive in a variety of indoor conditions. However, as a pet owner, it is important to know whether or not this plant is safe for your furry friends.

Toxicity of Green Shamrock Plant

Unfortunately, Green Shamrock Plant is toxic to pets, including cats and dogs. The plant contains oxalic acid, which can cause a range of symptoms when ingested by pets. These symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy, and in severe cases, kidney failure.

It is important to note that the toxic effects of Green Shamrock Plant can vary depending on the amount ingested and the size of the pet. Smaller pets are more susceptible to the effects of oxalic acid than larger pets.

Precautions to Keep Your Pets Safe

If you have Green Shamrock Plants in your home and you also have pets, it is important to take precautions to keep your furry friends safe. Here are some tips:

  • Keep the plant out of reach of pets: Place the plant on a high shelf or in a room where your pets do not have access.
  • Train your pets: Teach your pets not to chew or eat plants by providing them with appropriate toys and chews.
  • Supervise your pets: If you notice your pet showing interest in the plant, keep an eye on them and discourage them from approaching it.
  • Consider alternative plants: If you are looking for a pet-friendly houseplant, there are plenty of options available. Some pet-friendly plants include spider plants, African violets, and Boston ferns.

Benefits of Green Shamrock Plant

Despite its toxicity to pets, Green Shamrock Plant has many benefits for humans. Here are some reasons why you might want to consider adding this plant to your collection:

  • Air purification: Green Shamrock Plant is known for its ability to purify the air by removing harmful toxins such as benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene.
  • Easy to care for: This plant is easy to care for and can thrive in a variety of indoor conditions, including low light.
  • Decorative: The vibrant green foliage and delicate flowers make Green Shamrock Plant a beautiful addition to any room.


While Green Shamrock Plant is a beautiful and easy-to-care-for houseplant, it is not safe for pets. If you have pets in your home, it is important to keep this plant out of reach to prevent accidental ingestion. Consider alternative pet-friendly plants if you are looking to add some greenery to your home.


Can Green Shamrock Plant be fatal to pets?

In severe cases, ingesting Green Shamrock Plant can lead to kidney failure, which can be fatal.

What should I do if my pet ingests Green Shamrock Plant?

If you suspect that your pet has ingested Green Shamrock Plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. They may suggest inducing vomiting or other treatments depending on the severity of the situation.

Are there any other houseplants that are toxic to pets?

Yes, there are many houseplants that are toxic to pets. Some other common ones include lilies, aloe vera, and snake plants.