Updated: April 14, 2022

The Golden Pothos plant, also known as Devil’s Ivy or Epipremnum Aureum, is a popular houseplant due to its low maintenance and attractive appearance. However, if you are a pet owner, you may be concerned about whether or not this plant is safe for your furry friends. In this article, we will explore the potential risks and benefits of having a Golden Pothos plant in your home.

Benefits of Having a Golden Pothos Plant

Before we dive into the safety concerns of the Golden Pothos plant, let’s first look at some of the benefits of having this plant in your home.

  • Air Purification: The Golden Pothos plant is known for its ability to purify the air by removing harmful toxins such as formaldehyde and benzene.
  • Aesthetically Pleasing: With its green and yellow leaves, the Golden Pothos plant can add a pop of color and life to any room.
  • Easy to Care For: This plant thrives in low-light environments and only needs to be watered once a week.

Potential Risks for Pets

While there are many benefits to having a Golden Pothos plant in your home, it is important to be aware of the potential risks it may pose to your pets.

  • Toxicity: The Golden Pothos plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling in the mouth and throat if ingested by pets. Additionally, these crystals can cause digestive upset if they are swallowed.
  • Choking Hazard: The leaves of the Golden Pothos plant can be a choking hazard if your pet decides to chew on them or swallow them whole.

Precautions to Take

If you have a Golden Pothos plant in your home and you are a pet owner, there are several precautions you can take to ensure the safety of your furry friends.

  • Keep the Plant Out of Reach: If possible, place the plant on a high shelf or in a room that your pets do not have access to.
  • Train Your Pet: If your pet has a tendency to chew on plants, it may be helpful to train them to stay away from the Golden Pothos plant.
  • Monitor Your Pet: Keep an eye on your pet when they are in the same room as the plant to ensure they do not ingest any leaves.


In conclusion, while the Golden Pothos plant has many benefits, it is important to be aware of the potential risks it may pose to your pets. By taking the necessary precautions and keeping the plant out of reach, you can enjoy the benefits of this beautiful plant without putting your pets at risk.


Can Golden Pothos cause death in pets?

Ingesting large amounts of Golden Pothos can potentially lead to death in pets. However, this is rare and typically only occurs if large quantities of the plant are ingested.

Are there any signs or symptoms I should look out for if my pet ingests Golden Pothos?

Common signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and swelling in the mouth and throat. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Are there any other plants I should avoid if I have pets?

Yes, there are many plants that can be toxic to pets. Some common examples include lilies, azaleas, and tulips. It is important to do your research before bringing any new plants into your home to ensure they are safe for your pets.