Updated: May 11, 2022

Dwarf oyster plant, also known as the Moses-in-a-cradle plant, is a popular indoor and outdoor ornamental plant. This plant features a unique combination of purple and green leaves, making it an attractive addition to any home or garden. However, before introducing any new plant into your home, it’s essential to know whether it’s safe for your pets.

In this article, we will explore the safety of dwarf oyster plants and answer some frequently asked questions about this plant.

Is Dwarf Oyster Plant Toxic to Pets?

The dwarf oyster plant is mildly toxic to pets but does not pose significant danger. The plant contains saponins, which can cause mild irritation to the mouth, lips, and tongue if ingested by pets. The symptoms typically last for a few hours and do not require medical attention.

However, if your pet has consumed a large amount of the dwarf oyster plant, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal symptoms. In such cases, it is best to consult your veterinarian immediately.

Which Pets are at Risk?

Most pets are not attracted to the dwarf oyster plant and are unlikely to consume it. However, some pets may be more curious than others and may be at risk of ingesting the plant.

Cats are more susceptible to ingesting houseplants than dogs. Therefore, if you have a cat at home that likes to nibble on plants, it’s best to keep the dwarf oyster plant out of reach.

How to Keep Your Pets Safe Around Dwarf Oyster Plants?

Here are some tips you can follow to ensure that your pets stay safe around dwarf oyster plants:

  • Keep the plant out of reach: Place the plant in an area that is inaccessible to your pets.
  • Use deterrents: You can use bitter sprays or pet-safe deterrents to discourage your pets from approaching the plant.
  • Monitor your pets: Keep an eye on your pets and discourage them from getting close to the plant.


1. Can the Dwarf Oyster Plant Cause Allergies in Pets?

Yes, the dwarf oyster plant can cause allergies in some pets. If your pet is allergic to the plant, it can cause symptoms such as itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

2. Can I Grow Dwarf Oyster Plant Indoors with Pets?

Yes, you can grow dwarf oyster plants indoors with pets. However, it’s essential to keep the plant out of reach of your pets.

3. Is the Dwarf Oyster Plant Safe for Reptiles?

No, the dwarf oyster plant is not safe for reptiles. Reptiles are more susceptible to poisoning from plants than other pets. Therefore, it’s best to avoid keeping this plant around reptiles.

4. What Should I Do If My Pet Ingests Dwarf Oyster Plant?

If your pet ingests dwarf oyster plants and exhibits any symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea, contact your veterinarian immediately.

5. Can Dwarf Oyster Plants Be Toxic to Humans?

Dwarf oyster plants are not toxic to humans but can cause mild skin irritation in some individuals.


In conclusion, the dwarf oyster plant is mildly toxic to pets but does not pose significant danger. However, it’s essential to keep the plant out of reach of your pets and monitor them while they’re around it.

If you’re considering adding a dwarf oyster plant to your home or garden and have pets, follow the tips mentioned above to ensure their safety. Remember, prevention is always better than cure when it comes to pet safety.