Updated: January 15, 2023

Coin plants, also known as Chinese money plants or Pilea peperomioides, are popular houseplants that are loved for their unique coin-shaped leaves and low maintenance requirements. However, these plants can sometimes fall victim to mold growth, which can cause damage to the plant and affect its overall health. In this article, we will discuss some effective methods for getting rid of mold on coin plants.

Identify the type of mold

Mold can take on many different forms and colors, so it is important to identify the type of mold on your coin plant before attempting to remove it. Some common types of mold that can affect coin plants include powdery mildew, black mold, and white mold. Each type of mold requires a different approach for removal.

Remove affected leaves

One of the simplest and most effective methods for removing mold from a coin plant is to remove any affected leaves. This will not only get rid of the mold but also prevent it from spreading to other parts of the plant. Use a pair of clean and sharp scissors or pruning shears to carefully cut off any leaves that show signs of mold growth.

Use a fungicide

If the mold has spread beyond just a few leaves or if removing the affected leaves does not solve the problem, it may be necessary to use a fungicide. Fungicides are chemicals that are designed to kill molds and other fungi. There are many different types of fungicides available, both natural and synthetic. It is important to choose a product that is labeled safe for use on houseplants and follow the instructions carefully.

Increase air circulation

Mold thrives in warm, humid environments with poor air circulation. To prevent mold growth on your coin plant, make sure that it is placed in an area with good air circulation. You can also increase air circulation by using a fan or opening windows to allow fresh air to flow through the room.

Control humidity levels

Mold growth on coin plants can be caused by high humidity levels. To prevent mold from forming, it is important to control the humidity levels in your home. Use a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air, especially in areas where the coin plant is located.

Clean the soil

Mold can sometimes grow in the soil of a coin plant, especially if the soil is kept too moist. To get rid of mold in the soil, remove the top layer of soil and discard it. Then, replace it with fresh, clean soil. Make sure not to overwater the plant in the future to prevent mold growth.


How do I know if my coin plant has mold?

Mold on a coin plant can appear as a fuzzy, powdery, or slimy substance on the leaves or stems. The affected parts may also appear discolored or have dark spots.

Can I use vinegar to remove mold from my coin plant?

While vinegar is a natural and effective cleaning solution for many household surfaces, it is not recommended for use on plants. Vinegar can be too harsh for delicate plant tissue and may cause damage.

How often should I water my coin plant to prevent mold growth?

Coin plants prefer well-draining soil and do not like to be overwatered. Allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. In humid environments, it may be necessary to water less frequently to prevent mold growth.

In conclusion, mold growth on a coin plant can be unsightly and harmful to the plant’s health. By identifying the type of mold, removing affected leaves, using fungicides, increasing air circulation, controlling humidity levels, and cleaning the soil regularly, you can effectively get rid of mold on your coin plant and keep it healthy and thriving.