Epipremnum plants, also known as Pothos or Devil’s Ivy, are popular houseplants due to their easy care and attractive appearance. However, one common problem faced by Epipremnum plant owners is the presence of lerps.
Lerps are small, white or brown, oval-shaped structures that appear on the leaves of Epipremnum plants. They’re actually the protective coverings of sap-sucking insects called psyllids. These insects feed on the sap of the plant and excrete honeydew, which attracts ants and causes sooty mold to grow on the leaves.
If you’ve noticed lerps on your Epipremnum plant, don’t worry! There are several ways to get rid of them and restore your plant’s health.
Identify the Problem
Before you can begin treating your Epipremnum plant for lerps, it’s important to make sure that’s what you’re dealing with. Check for small bumps or raised areas on the leaves – these are the lerps. If you see any small insects crawling around on the leaves or flying around the plant, those are likely psyllids.
Remove Affected Leaves
One effective way to get rid of lerps is to simply remove the affected leaves from your Epipremnum plant. This will also remove any psyllids that may be hiding inside the lerps.
Use clean scissors or pruning shears to cut off the affected leaves at their base. Make sure to dispose of them immediately to prevent any insects from spreading to other plants.
Use Insecticidal Soap
Insecticidal soap is a safe and effective way to control psyllids and other sap-sucking insects on your Epipremnum plant. It works by disrupting the insect’s cell membranes and causing them to dehydrate and die.
To use insecticidal soap, mix the solution according to the package instructions and apply it to the affected leaves of your Epipremnum plant. Be sure to cover both sides of the leaves and any crevices or folds where insects may be hiding.
Repeat this process every 7-10 days until the lerps and psyllids have been eliminated.
Introduce Natural Predators
Another way to control psyllids on your Epipremnum plant is to introduce natural predators, such as ladybugs or lacewings. These insects feed on psyllids and can help keep their populations in check.
You can purchase ladybugs or lacewings online or at a garden center. Release them onto your Epipremnum plant and they will begin feeding on the psyllids right away.
Can I use neem oil to get rid of lerps on my Epipremnum plant?
Yes, neem oil is another safe and effective way to control psyllids and other sap-sucking insects on your Epipremnum plant. Mix the neem oil according to the package instructions and apply it to the affected leaves every 7-10 days until the lerps and psyllids have been eliminated.
Are lerps harmful to my Epipremnum plant?
While lerps themselves aren’t harmful, they’re an indication that your Epipremnum plant is being attacked by sap-sucking insects. These insects can weaken and damage the plant over time if left untreated. It’s important to take action to eliminate both the lerps and the psyllids that are causing them.
Can I prevent lerps from appearing on my Epipremnum plant?
There are several things you can do to prevent lerps from appearing on your Epipremnum plant. Keep your plant healthy by providing it with proper lighting, watering, and fertilization. Check your plant regularly for signs of pests and take action immediately if you notice any. Quarantine new plants before introducing them to your home to prevent the spread of pests.
- When Is The Best Time To Transplant A Epipremnum Plant
- Epipremnum Plant Stages of Growth
- Epipremnum Plant Size: Get the Right Size for You
- How to Get Rid of Mold on Epipremnum Plant
- How to Get Rid of Worms in Epipremnum Plant
- How Much Water Does Epipremnum Plant Watering
- What is Epipremnum Plant Commonly Used For?
- How Tall Does a Epipremnum Plant Grow
- How to Pollinate Epipremnum Plant: Increase Your Yield
- How to Tell if Epipremnum Plant Needs Watering?
- How to Prevent Epipremnum Plant from Rotting
- What is the Origin of Epipremnum Plant
- How to Get Rid of Borers on Epipremnum Plant
- What Are the Different Types of Epipremnum Plant
- How Much Oxygen Does Epipremnum Plant Produce?
- How to Get Rid of Snails on Epipremnum Plant
- How to Get Rid of Slaters on Epipremnum Plant
- Most Common Epipremnum Plant Pests: Identification and Treatment Guide
- How to Get Rid of Mosquito Larvae in Epipremnum Plant Water
- How Deep Does Epipremnum Plant Need to Be Planted?
- How to Get Rid of Crusader Bugs on Epipremnum Plant
- How Much Space to Leave Between Each Epipremnum Plant
- How to Repot Epipremnum Plant
- Why is My Epipremnum Plant Drooping
- How to Get Rid of Caterpillars on Epipremnum Plant
- Epipremnum Plant Harvesting: Optimal Time and Technique
- Why Is My Epipremnum Plant Falling Over
- How to Get Rid of Slugs on Epipremnum Plant
- Is Epipremnum Plant Safe for My Pets?
- How to Get Rid of Spider Mites in Epipremnum Plant