If you own a cheese plant, you may have encountered crusader bugs. These insects can be a nuisance, feeding on the sap of the plant and causing yellowing, curling, and distortion of the leaves. Fortunately, there are several ways to get rid of crusader bugs and keep your cheese plant healthy.
Identify Crusader Bugs
Before you can get rid of crusader bugs, you need to identify them. These small insects are about 2-3mm long and are either green or brown in color. They have a distinctive shield-shaped body and feed on the sap of plants using their piercing-sucking mouthparts.
The best way to deal with crusader bugs is to prevent them from infesting your cheese plant in the first place. Here are some prevention tips:
- Inspect new plants before bringing them home.
- Keep your cheese plant healthy by providing it with the right amount of water, light, and nutrients.
- Remove any dead leaves or debris from around the plant.
- Keep an eye out for any signs of infestation.
If your cheese plant is already infested with crusader bugs, there are several natural remedies you can try:
Neem oil is a natural insecticide that is effective against a wide range of pests, including crusader bugs. Mix neem oil with water according to the instructions on the bottle and spray it on your cheese plant’s leaves. Repeat this process every few days until the bugs are gone.
A soap spray made with dish soap and water can also be effective against crusader bugs. Mix a few drops of dish soap with water in a spray bottle and spray it on your cheese plant’s leaves. Be sure to rinse the leaves with water after a few hours to prevent any damage.
Diatomaceous earth is a natural insecticide that is made from the fossilized remains of diatoms. Sprinkle a thin layer of diatomaceous earth on the soil around your cheese plant to kill crusader bugs and other pests.
If natural remedies don’t work or if the infestation is severe, you may need to use a chemical insecticide. Here are some options:
Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide that is derived from chrysanthemum flowers. It is effective against crusader bugs and other pests. Mix pyrethrin with water according to the instructions on the bottle and spray it on your cheese plant’s leaves.
Imidacloprid is a systemic insecticide that is absorbed by the plant and kills insects when they feed on it. It is effective against crusader bugs but should be used with caution as it can be harmful to beneficial insects like bees.
Are crusader bugs harmful to humans?
No, crusader bugs are not harmful to humans.
Can I use neem oil on my cheese plant if I plan to eat the cheese?
Yes, neem oil is safe to use on plants that will be consumed.
Will soap spray harm my cheese plant?
Soap spray can be drying to some plants, so it’s best to test it on a small area first before applying it to the entire plant.
How often should I use chemical insecticides?
Follow the instructions on the label of the product you are using for guidance on how often to apply it.
- How to Get Rid of Mosquito Larvae in Cheese Plant Water
- How Much Oxygen Does Cheese Plant Produce?
- Cheese Plant Size: Get the Right Size for You
- How to Clean Cheese Plant
- How to Save a Dying Cheese Plant
- How to Get Rid of Worms in Cheese Plant
- What Are The Little Bugs on My Cheese Plant
- How Much Sunlight Does Cheese Plant Need?
- Cheese Plant Soil: How to Choose the Right Type
- Guide to Fertilizing Your Cheese Plant
- How Much Water Does Cheese Plant Watering
- How to Transplant Cheese Plant
- What Are the Different Types of Cheese Plant
- How to Care for Cheese Plant
- Why Are My Cheese Plant Leaves Turning Yellow?
- Guide to Growing Cheese Plant in a Pot
- How to Propogate Cheese Plant the Right Way
- How to Grow Cheese Plant Indoors
- Is Cheese Plant Safe for My Pets?
- Cheese Plant Roots and Stems: an In-depth Look
- Cheese Plant Harvesting: Optimal Time and Technique
- How to Get Rid of Nematodes on Cheese Plant
- How to Get Rid of Slugs on Cheese Plant
- How to Get Rid of Gnats in Cheese Plant
- Use a Hanging Cheese Plant to Freshen up Your Space
- Why Does my Cheese Plant Have Brown Spots?
- How Quickly Does Cheese Plant Grow?
- How to Trim Cheese Plant: In-depth Pruning Guide
- What’s Causing my Cheese Plant to Die?
- How to Get Rid of Caterpillars on Cheese Plant